Reports to: CEO/ Visionary
Type: Full Time, Salary
Salary: $100,000 – $150,000
Are you highly driven to achieve maximum business results while staying true to the core values of kindness and respect for your employees, customers & the planet? Do you enjoy taking the “big ideas” of a creative Visionary and executing them into practical policies & procedures within an organization? Do you love coaching and inspiring people to achieve their best? Do you thrive in an environment of positive accountability, where holding tough conversations and having daily “rumbles” with leadership are the norm? Do you consider yourself a lifelong learner, constantly pushing for more and thinking how you can improve yourself and your team each and every day? If these questions align with your “why” then American Solar & Roofing may be the right company for you! We are not your typical Solar company and this is not your typical COO role. Now is the time to join our team as we are thriving and growing!
American Solar & Roofing is the original solar and roofing company in Arizona. We are a local, family-owned company consisting of less than 50 employees and have been in business for over 20 years. We are looking for a Chief Operating Officer to join our dynamic Leadership Team, also known as an Integrator under the EOS (Entrepreneurial Operating System) operating model and as described in the well-known book Rocket Fuel. As the Integrator, you will report up to the CEO/Visionary of the company and will oversee the rest of the Leadership Team, consisting of 4 – 5 Director Level roles. Responsibilities will include everything from designing organizational success metrics to managing projects from ideation to implementation. Our company works directly with an EOS Facilitator to maintain quality and consistency of organizational structure, policies and procedures within this business model. We are driven to lead the industry in high caliber, residential solar electric and roofing installations. This is an in-person role located at our office in Phoenix near 36th St. & University Drive. Solar/Roofing/Construction experience is not required, but a strong, strategic personality, growth mindset and burning desire to make the world a better place are non-negotiable. Your ability to manage teams, drive project success, and develop a culture of collaboration, coordination, accountability, and solutions-oriented mindset will determine the future success of our organization!
Our ideal candidate loves to:
- Hold others accountable to their commitments and deliverables through clear, kind communication and coaching.
- Drive and support the Culture and Core Values throughout every level of the organization
- Support ongoing business transformation work currently underway by helping define metrics of success, tools for measuring that success, and implementing changes, as needed, to course correct.
- Develop organizational-wide performance metrics and facilitate a system for tracking KPIs within each department.
- Review all technology-related systems and identify opportunities to create efficiency and scale.
- Work with the Visionary/CEO to prioritize high impact, high growth projects that can accelerate the organization’s growth in the next three to five years.
- Interface with external stakeholders with the aim of developing and implementing impactful programs that will enhance the customer experience.
- Support the finance team by building processes and procedures to minimize potential errors and accelerate the billing/AP cycle.
- In conjunction with ownership, develop a performance management system for employees and build and maintain KPIs that best measure operational performance and hold team accountable to those metrics on a consistent basis.
- Evaluate candidate recruiting process and work with internal HR and recruiting teams to enhance the process to drive higher quality candidates and a better candidate experience.
- Support the EOS operating model, utilizing processes and tools to leverage the organization’s key resources and personnel.
- Oversee the implementation of marketing and business development programs and build systems and processes to enhance the effectiveness of both.
Our ideal candidate will have the following:
- 10+ years of operations and business management experience in a senior operations role.
- A Bachelors degree or higher in Business, Operations, Finance or a related field. MBA preferred.
- A proven ability to shepherd projects from ideation to implementation.
- A proven ability to develop processes and procedures as well as designing the change management programs necessary for their implementation.
- The ability to assess and coach employees and build successful long-term relationships.
- The ability to manage multiple office locations as well as remote work environments.
- A history of successfully managing up and getting projects completed in complex environments.
- A proficiency in technology systems and bringing processes and procedures in alignment with those systems.
- A high degree of detail and a willingness to go “into the weeds” on projects to execute with precision.
- A history of successfully negotiating with vendors and managing vendor/supplier relationships.
- A proficiency in company financials and the ability to read P&Ls and turn company data into actionable initiatives.
- Experience building budgets and driving accountability to those budgets.
- Experience running a strategic planning process and tying the plans back to tangible metrics, company financials, and future budgets.
- Experience navigating through ambiguous situations and coaching others through rapid change.
- A driven, highly motivated, self-starter approach to their prior roles.
- A track record of success in previous roles and “raving fans” who can substantiate that success.
- Given the nature of this role and its industry, an ability to maintain strictest confidentiality and integrity.
We also do this through our commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion & Belonging within our company. We believe that success comes from promoting and maintaining a workforce that is diverse in race, ethnicity, cultural background, gender identification, sexual orientation, age, faith and more. It is by celebrating these differences, providing an inclusive safe space where all employees have a voice, and creating opportunities for under-represented individuals to have a seat at the table, from the field to the office, that we will continue to rise to the top as change leaders within our industry.